57 Video Marketing Stats You Need to Know for 2020
Video content continues to be one of the fastest growing channels in 2020 for marketers in every industry, and it’s not hard to see why. Online video statistics are constantly proving that video content is a must-have in every marketer’s toolkit in order to increase awareness, engagement, and conversions.
That being said, not all video content is created equal, and there are a lot of different ways to include video in your content strategy. You can create explainer videos, host webinars, use Facebook Live and IGTV to engage with your followers, live stream, incorporate video into your ad content, and so much more. Where you share the video matters too — you want to ensure you’re serving the right type of content to the right audience at the right time to maximize views. You also need to share professional video content that stands out in the sea of online videos.
Don’t worry if the idea of producing top-notch video content for your brand seems intimidating — that’s what Explainify is here for. Check out the video marketing stats below to see why you need to include video content in your marketing strategy ASAP.
Video Statistics and Trends for 2020
According to Cisco, over 80% of online traffic will be for video content in the next two years — which means your brand not only needs video content, it needs good video content that captures attention and stands out in the crowd. Hiring an explainer video company to create professional, custom content is one easy way to make sure your videos don’t get overlooked.
Some big video stats and trends to watch for:
- Marketing professionals will continue to spend considerable time and resources on video content. Wyzowl found 92% of marketers who use video say that it’s an important part of their marketing strategy — up from 78% in 2015.
- One prediction from Digital Agency Network is that there will be a rise in both extremely short video ad content, especially for social media, as well as an increase in long-form video content.
- Video marketing statistics will inform content strategy as data-driven content becomes more and more popular, according to SF Gate.
- It will be increasingly important to create mobile-optimized content, as video marketing stats show that people are 1.5 times more likely to watch video content on their phones rather than on their computers and 75% of total views come from mobile devices.
- One of the most surprising online video statistics shows that more content is posted online in just one month than U.S. TV networks made in the past three decades.
- If you’re trying to spread the word about a product or service video is the way to go — 92% of people who watch a video will share it. That makes explainer videos a great way to move potential customers through the marketing funnel.
- Posting regular video content can increase traffic by up to 300%.
- If you want to boost your organic search, video content can boost those numbers by over 150%.
- If you want to keep your audience engaged, videos under two minutes are your best bet according to Wistia.
- Video content is 1200% more shared than posts that only feature text and images.
- conversion rate up to 34%.
Social Media Video Statistics
Social media has always been at the forefront of video marketing, so it comes as no surprise that video marketers rely on YouTube and Facebook more than any other platform, with 85% using YouTube and 79% using Facebook according to Hubspot. When it comes to video engagement stats, social media posts that include video are also 48% more likely to be seen than other kinds.
Facebook Video Statistics
- When it comes to the future, you can’t look for more accurate Facebook video stats than the social network giant’s own prediction that the platform will be completely reliant on video marketing by 2021.
- Video marketing stats also show that people are more likely to purchase a product if they view a video first. In fact, 62% of people say watching a video on Facebook encourages them to buy.
- Facebook video stats can also help make sure the right people are watching your videos — and the right audience means higher conversion rates. In 2015, Facebook had almost three quarters of American teenagers’ attention. Now that number is down to just half.
- Even though less U.S. teens are using the platform, there are still 2.45 billion monthly active users. Using Facebook video stats can help determine if the audience you’re trying to reach is among them. For example, 74% of Facebook users earn $75,000+ a year.
- It’s important to consider whether sound is an important part of your video — 85% of people watch videos on FB without audio. Plus, video with captions increases viewing time between 12-25%.
- Facebook videos have an average engagement rate of just over 6%.
- If someone watches the first three seconds of your video, they’re more likely to keep watching. 65% will watch for ten seconds, and 45% will keep watching until the thirty-second mark. Make sure you get your point across often and early, since the average amount of time people spend watching is only ten seconds.
- Want to know a secret to getting more people to watch your video? Put a number in the title for between three or four times more views.
Instagram Video Statistics
- The platform turns 10 this year, and 60% of Instagrammers log in at least once every day — making it second in daily use only to Facebook.
- According to video marketing statistics from 2019, Insta’s growth is slowing with only two percent growth in users (from 35% to 37%).
- Even with that slow growth, Instagram can be a key way to use video marketing to meet your company’s goals. According to a survey, 83% of people use the platform to find new products or services, 81% use it to research before they buy, and 80% use it to make a purchasing decision.
- A whopping 500 million people use Instagram Stories daily.
- Brands typically share two-to-three stories weekly, and one out of every three most popular stories are from business accounts.
- Video marketing statistics from 2019 show that brand Stories’ completion rates have increased 16% since last year.
- Want an easy way to improve your Stories’ performance? Use stickers for an 83% bump — but only on video. Stories that only feature images perform worse if you use two or more stickers.
YouTube Video Statistics
- No list of social media video statistics would be complete without YouTube. People watch more than 1 billion hours of video content on Pew Research found that 73% of Americans use it to consume content, compared to 69% using Facebook and just 37% on Instagram.
- One of the main reasons people visit YouTube is to answer a question or solve a problem. That drives 70% of people to the platform — and that makes it a great place for explainer videos.
- Only 20% of people who start watching a video will complete it. You only have ten seconds to capture — and keep — your viewers’ attention.
- People are using their phones more and more to watch YouTube. The average viewing session lasts over 40 minutes, up 50% year over year, and over half of the platform’s total views are on mobile.
- YouTube plays a huge role in what content viewers watch: only 33% of the most popular videos are English.
- Online video statistics also show that people care three times more about the relevance of the video than if it has a recognizable star, and 60% prefer relevance over a high production value, so make sure your content is seen by the right audience.
Video Marketing Companies
All the video content available and the video marketing stats clearly show the benefit for businesses to incorporate video content into their marketing strategies. And there’s no better way to tell your brand’s story than with a custom animated explainer video. But video production can be costly, time consuming, and a drain on internal resources. That’s where using an explainer video company like Explainify is a great way to make sure your video is professional and polished so potential clients take notice and engage with your brand.
Explainify knows exactly what needs to go into your brand’s video to make sure it is seen by the right audience, at the right time, and delivers the right message. We keep up on the latest video marketing statistics so you don’t have to — in addition to handling the production details to take you from idea, to storyboard, to a finished product that helps you dominate your marketing objectives.
5 Reasons why including video in your blog posts drives more leads to your businessCreating...
7 Amazing Examples of Great Digital Marketing Campaign VideosIt takes a lot of work, know-how, and...
A Step-by-Step Guide to App Store PreviewsOver the last several years, with the explosion of both...
Why Companies with Internal Marketing Resources Still Partner with Explainer Video ExpertsFor many...
Rethinking Video: 4 Ways to Create Video Marketing SuccessMarketing is all about creating...